Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Asian Wonton Salad with Sesame Dressing

 
I have been very interested in Asian and tropical cooking lately.  I think it's because it's so bright and cheery outside that it makes me want to cook up those types of foods that are very fresh tasting.
 
In an earlier post I had shared the BBQ Asian Chicken we made and thought this was a great follow-up because I used the leftover chicken in this tasty salad.  Great way to use up your leftovers and roll it over to other meals.  A little bit of planning really can make life easier!
 
This salad is crunchy, sweet, nutty and just plain yummy!
 
I highly recommend this if you are looking for a different salad rather than just the same boring garden salad of tomatoes, cucumber, carrots and lettuce.  This one has chicken, cashews, fried wonton strips and a sesame seed dressing! In yo face garden salad!
 
Seriously amazing amazing-ness going on here folks!
 
Enjoy!
 
 
Asian Wonton Salad:
Recipe from Our Best Bites
 
2 heads romaine lettuce (I HATE washing lettuce - to make my life easier I bought 2 bags pre-washed romaine lettuce)
3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (I used leftover BBQ Asian Chicken but you could use any chicken.  You can get a good size bag of Tyson Pre-Grilled Chicken Strips for $2.50.  Very tasty, yummy and easy!)
Cherry Tomatoes (I used grape because they were on sale)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
cashews
1 package wontons (typically found in produce section)
vegetable oil for frying
 
Heat about 1 inch of oil to medium heat.  You may have to crank it up a little but you want the oil to be at about 375 degrees.  Using pizza cutter cut wontons into strips choosing whatever sizes you like.  I only used about a 1/4 of a package of wonton sheets but you may want to make more, they are that good! To test oil dip in a wonton strip.  If it bubbles up quickly then you're good to go.  Fry wontons about 5 at a time (be careful not to burn 'em! they cook quickly!).  Drain on paper towels.
 
For salad combine lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, cashews and fried wonton strips.  Drizzle with sesame dressing.
 
Sesame Dressing:
2/3 c. rice vinegar
1 c. canola oil
2 T. sesame oil (typically found in Asian section)
4 cloves garlic, pressed (I'm going to use more next time)
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 c. sugar
4 T. sesame seeds
 
Place all ingredients into a quart jar (or something equivalent) and shake vigorously. 
 
I HIGHLY recommend making the day before to give ample time to chill.  It is sooo much better when it's really cold.  However if that is not possible just try to make as much in advance as you can.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 

Picture perfect.


Yummy......


And on a more random note, here is a picture of our FINALLY snow free front yard! It looks pretty barren right now but we recently purchased lots of plants and flowers that will help fill in the gaps and make it look lush.  Can't wait!


I also had to share this little beauty.  The other night my husband was making steaks on the grill and the sky was gorgeous! When I saw the moon peaking out from the cloud cover I grabbed my camera.  I thought it turned out kinda cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment