Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Strawberry Freezer Jam


Welcome to jam making! I love homemade jam.  It is delicious! You can't even compare homemade jam to store bought jam.  They're in two different classes.  Like chocolate and vegetables.  No comparison.  Chocolate obviously being the winner.

My mother-in-law came to visit and she makes the best jam.  So I asked her if she wouldn't mind showing me how to make strawberry freezer jam.  She was so nice to help me and it was so easy that now I want to make all kinds of freezer jam like blueberry, mango and raspberry.


First, you want to get 4 cups of mashed strawberries.  Don't make strawberry soup though! Mash 'em good but leave a little chunkiness to it.  You could use a potato masher but I didn't have one so I used the bottom of a cup.



Put those strawberries in a big bowl and add 8 cups white sugar.  Mix well.  Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.



While your strawberry mixture is working it's magic, stir together 2 pouches liquid pectin and 4 T. of lemon juice.


This is the liquid pectin I used but you can use the powdered stuff too.  You just may have to follow the instructions for the recipe off of their box instead.



Stir the pectin mixture into the strawberries and mix for 3 minutes.



Put jam into any size or kind of jar.  You could use glass jars but I just re-used plastic cups I had from cottage cheese. Yeah, I love the planet like that.  Keep in mind that the Certo recipe says that once jam is spooned into jars to let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours, but we didn't do that.  And it tastes fabulous! This recipe yields 8 cups of jam.  Freeze what you are not using for up to 1 year and keep in mind that once in the fridge it lasts for 3 weeks.  Honestly, it won't last 3 weeks though.  Who are we kidding?

No comments:

Post a Comment