Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

White Chicken Chili


I LOVE spicy food.  I used to be a complete wimp about spicy food but man sometimes Mama just needs something SPICY now and then! 

I found this recipe out of the "Our Best Bites" cookbook.  Honestly, what's new? I seriously don't cook from anything else.  I am determined to try recipes from other cookbooks soon but for today, we're cooking out of "Our Best Bites".  

I know that this recipe is named "White Chicken Chili" but to me it also kind of tastes like a taco soup.  It's got a very clean, crisp taste.  I love the taste of cilantro, cumin and lime in it.  

I hope you enjoy trying it.  It's a fun and tasty soup to make!

1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern Beans (I would use 3 next time)
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (next time I would shred instead)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (3.5 ounce) can green chilies
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. coriander (I didn't use this.  I just put in a little extra cumin)
1/2 t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
1 lime, juiced
1/2 c. roughly chopped cilantro

Toppings: sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese, avocado (a must), tortilla chips and lime wedges

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and cook for about 2 minutes, just until it starts to become translucent (did mine for more like 5-6 minutes to make sure those pieces wouldn't be crunchy at all).  

While the onions are cooking, drain the beans and rinse with cold water; set aside.  Sprinkle the chopped chicken with a little salt and pepper and add to pot (I mentioned that I would shred my chicken next time.  I would half the chicken breasts, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and add them to the pot.  I would cook them till they were almost done.  Once the other ingredients are added later on I would let the chicken cook completely through, remove it from the pot, shred it and then return it to the pot so it could cook a little more).  Add the garlic.  Cook for 4-5 minutes or until there's no more visible pink on the chicken.

Add green chilies along with all of the juices in the can.  Add the beans, cumin, oregano, coriander, salt and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper.  Stir to combine and then add the chicken broth.

Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes (did mine for more like 20 minutes).  Remove from heat and add the juice from one lime and 1/2 c. chopped cilantro.  Add the salt and pepper to taste (I didn't do this.  Everyone can salt and pepper their own portions).

Ladle into bowls and top as desired with sour cream, chopped cilantro, cheese, avocado, chips and lime wedges (I used all of those except the cilantro and it is mandatory you use them all too! Makes it soo yummy!).  


No comments:

Post a Comment