Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Spicy Honey Chicken Mango Salad


I love trying new things.  That's why you'll always see me try new recipes on the blog.  I don't want to get stuck in a rut and always have pancakes or cereal for dinner (this happens MUCH more then it should).  I also want to be cooking healthier.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some decadent and comforting food but I am making some life changes and cooking healthy can be fun and easy!

The salad is comprised of romaine lettuce, chilled, cubed mangos, avocado and an avocado ranch dressing.  I am already in the planning stages of changing this salad up again for the future and making it better.  It will be Spicy Honey Chicken Mango Salad 2.0.  Let's just say there's going to be some sugared nuts and a mango salad dressing instead of the avocado ranch.   Oh yeah.  It's going to happen.

The chicken I put in this salad is from Our Best Bites.  Click here for the link.  It is DA BOMB yo! Spicy, but not too spicy.  Sweet, but not too sweet.  The best of both worlds as Hannah Montana would say.  What? You never watched Hannah Montana? I feel ashamed.

I did some things differently but you can click on the link above and read how they do their recipe.  This is just my slightly different adaption and I LOVED it.  They advised to serve the chicken in a salad with mango and avocado which I did and it was sooo good! They also suggested serving it with a Honey Citrus Vinaigrette but I kinddaaa forgot to get some ingredients and tried to make due with what I had and it turned out horrible.  So I'm going to stick with my avocado ranch dressing until I make my mango one for next time.

I hope you enjoy this salad.  It is supa dupa healthy and flavorful and a great change to an otherwise monotonous dinner menu during the week.


For some reason I feel like I should be eating this in the Caribbean!

Spicy Honey Chicken Mango Salad:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. chili powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. chipotle chili powder (if you like spicy food then put more in!)
1/4 c. honey
1/2 T. apple cider vinegar
Red Leaf or Romaine lettuce (I made it with Romaine but would use Red Leaf next time)
2 chilled, cubed mangos
2 avocados sliced or diced
good Ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lay a piece of tin foil on a cookie sheet and lay a cooling rack on top.

Mix garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, kosher salt, cumin and chipotle chili powder in a small bowl until completely combined.

Place chicken on cooling rack and sprinkle the dry spices over the top.  Bake chicken until completely cooked through, about 50-65 minutes depending on size.

While the chicken is cooking prep your salad ingredients.  Wash and tear you lettuce and cut up your chilled mangos and avocado.  For the avocado ranch dressing mash together desired amount of ranch dressing and about half an avocado till nice and combined.  Let that chill.

In the last few minutes of the chicken cooking heat up the honey in the microwave for 25 seconds.  Add the apple cider vinegar and mix together with a basting brush.  Baste the chicken with the honey mixture.  You're going to be thinking that it's a LOT of liquid to put over the chicken and you would be right! But that's what makes it so scrumdidilyumpkish.  Once again, I apologize for making up my own language when it comes to food.  I get carried away.

Take the chicken out of the oven and cube it up or slice it.  I cubed mine but personally think it would be lovely to slice that chicken on a diagonal and lay it over your bed of lettuce in a "hey I'm much better then an expensive restaurant salad" sort of way.

Once you've got your chicken and lettuce ready to go sprinkle over desired amounts of mango, avocado and avocado ranch dressing.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment