Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Crock Pot Cashew Chicken


Recipe slightly adapted from Favorite Family Recipes

I adore Thai food.  It is the best.  It is sublime.  It is amazing.

I used to work in an adorable Thai restaurant and to this day I miss the ladies I worked with and the fun that I had there.

This restaurant makes a cashew chicken recipe that is beyond amazing.  Seriously, one of my favorite meals on the planet.  I miss it so!

I pinned this tasty looking recipe and I was SOO excited when it tasted fairly similar to the restaurant! This is a KEEPER for sure.

The chicken in this dish is very tender, the sauce is flavorful and I love the crunch of the cashews.

I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe!

Crock Pot Cashew Chicken:
Serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. flour
1/2 t. pepper
1 T. canola oil
1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce (if you use full sodium you will be sad!)
2 T. rice vinegar
2 T. ketchup
1 T. brown sugar, packed
1 garlic clove, minced (I just used about 2 t. jarred garlic.  So much easier!)
1/2 t. fresh ginger, grated (I LOVE the ginger that comes in a tube in the produce section!)
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
cashews
green onions
rice

Cut up chicken into bite size pieces.  Combine flour and pepper in resealable plastic bag and toss to mix.  Add chicken and toss to fully coat.

Heat oil in pan over medium heat.  Once warm, add chicken and heat till barely cooked through (be careful! the oil pops!).  Transfer to crock pot. 

Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in small bowl.  Pour over chicken.  Cook for 1 hour on low. 

Add chopped bell pepper (next time I'm also going to add half a white onion) and cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. 

Serve with hot white rice, cashews and green onions.



No comments:

Post a Comment