Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Sante Fe Stuffed Peppers



Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste

First off, Happy Holidays! I hope everyone is having a wonderful time getting ready for Christmas.  It really is a special time of year and since I have a lot of time off of work this month you will see a lot more recipes from me in the next couple weeks.  I know, I know.  I just made your day right? I thought so.

The only problem is that there are just too many recipes out there I want to try! Fo sure (yes I meant to put "fo sure" instead of "for sure".  I'm ghetto like that yo!) over the next couple weeks you will see Baked Ziti, The Best Blueberry Muffins and Pumpkin Cheesecake With Pecan Gingersnap Crust (I made this at Thanksgiving and it is the best cheesecake I have ever had.  Praise be to the powers who created this recipe!).  I also have a cute, cheap and fast Christmas gift idea for you that will be posted tomorrow.

Okay, so let's get this party started!

This recipe is truly delicious.  The best thing about it are the flavors.  It is spicy without being too spicy, meaning that it is great for anyone!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  I enjoyed it so much that I ate 3.  Yikes!

6 green bell peppers (tops cut off, seeds taken out and cut in half lengthwise)
1 lb ground beef (the leanest you can find)
kosher salt
8 T. diced white onion
2 jalapenos, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced (I just use the jarred stuff from Costco)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 t. cumin
2 t. taco seasoning
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 c. shredded pepper jack cheese

For Garnish: light sour cream and chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray large stock pot with cooking spray.  Toss in your beef and some kosher salt to taste and cook until browned.

Add onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, garlic, black beans, cumin and taco seasoning.  Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.

Uncover and throw in the corn.  Crank up the heat to about medium to medium high and cook for 8-10 minutes or until any residual liquid is gone.

Lay your peppers in a 9x13 and also an 8x8 pan (we're making a lot of food here folks!).

Evenly spoon your beef mixture amongst the peppers (I did mine using a large cookie scoop).

Give those babies a bath and pour in a tiny bit of water into each pan so that it barely, barely covers the bottom.

Tightly cover both pans with foil and stick 'em in the oven for 45 minutes so that the peppers can soften (you could probably get away with 30-35 minutes if you want leftovers because otherwise they may become too soft for leftovers).

Take 'em out and uncover.  Sprinkle with the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses.

Bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Take out and garnish with a side of light sour cream and green onion.




No comments:

Post a Comment